Disney World: Day 5

We took the kids to Disney World in March for Nicholas’ sixth birthday. If you have the opportunity to do a kid’s birthday in Disney World, I highly recommend it. Below is the fifth and final part in a series of each day of our adventure. You can see the other posts here.

The Boys with Pooh Bear

On Monday, it looked like monsoon season at the Polynesian. We got to sleep in a little bit this day because we had a 9:20 reservation at the Grand Floridian for breakfast with Mary Poppins. This was a fun-filled raucous buffet with characters rolling by one after the other. We saw Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Alice, and the Mad Hatter. Our waitress recognized Nicholas’ birthday button and brought him out a cupcake with a candle and we sang happy birthday to him.

After breakfast, we hopped on the monorail for the Magic Kingdom. It wasn’t terribly crowded, but it certainly wasn’t empty. We headed for Fantasy Land and got our FastPass for Peter Pan (2 hours later), and then aimed for some short line, no rain attractions like the Hall of Presidents and the Country Bear Jamboree.

We arrived at the Hall of Presidents about 15 minutes before the next show, and there was a small line beginning to build that turned out to be a photo-op with Mickey! Anyone who’s been to Disney World knows that Mickey isn’t the most visible character in the parks outside of special events like parades, etc. So we jumped on the line while Mickey was having a piece of cheesecake, so he wasn’t there to attract a line yet. After a couple of minutes, it was the boys’ turn to have their picture taken with General Washington Mickey, and that was pretty cool.

The Boys with General Mickey

Once that was done, there was only a few minutes to wait before going into the Hall of Presidents show. Nicholas enjoyed it and Tommy wasn’t scared of it, so I think it counted as a win for everyone. After that we headed over to the Country Bear Jamboree which the boys really wanted to see going into the trip. Of course, Tommy started saying he didn’t want to go and that it would be scary. Even though after it was over, he said it was scary, I think he still enjoyed it.

Now it was time for lunch, so we went next door to Pecos Bill’s cafe and ate on the cheap. A side of chili for myself, a kids’ cheeseburger for Katie, turkey sandwich for Nicholas and PB & J for Tommy. Lunch in the park for under $20!

Knights with Invisible Swords

After lunch we headed back toward Fantasy Land to ride Peter Pan, which, once again, Tommy was scared to go on. However, after riding it he loved it and wanted to go again. Unfortunately, the next FastPass time was for 5:00 or so, which conflicted with our 5:10 dinner reservation at Germany. We all rode the carousel, and then Katie decided she’d swing over to Peter Pan and see what the FastPass time window was up to after she got the stroller from stroller parking. She got one for 5:40 – 6:40 while Nicholas, Tommy and I rode the carousel again. Not a much better time, but we figured we had it just in case.

Now it was time to head to EPCOT to do some of the pavilion stuff before dinner at the BIergarten. We avoided much of the rain (and the parade) by walking back through the Emporium on Main Street, USA. We got the boys some souvenirs and then boarded the express to the TTC. However, Nicholas became a wet poncho and wanted to just go back to the hotel. Tommy was asleep in the stroller and we argued with Nicholas for a while before just giving in and heading back to the hotel. By the time we arrived at the hotel, it was about 4:00 and we had to wait until 5:00 before we could walk into Kona for dinner.

The boys sat and played army guys and watched a Donald Duck movie in the lobby lounge area until it was dinner time. We gave our Peter Pan FastPasses to a family that was headed to Magic Kingdom, and they said something that struck me as odd: They had wanted to ride Peter Pan the few times they were there, but the line was too long. Did they not know about FastPass? Do people really not know about how that works?! Either way, they were grateful for the tickets, and we were grateful to eat.

I clearly overate at our last large meal on vacation, having wings followed by a pork chop. My belly hurt for a while, and Arwen my trainer is going to kick my arse when I get back to the gym 🙁 Either way, we headed back to the room, dried off, and began packing to go home.